Thursday, October 2, 2008

Things you should never pay for… at least not much: PART ONE

Toilet paper: This is my most recent purchase of TP… FORTY SIX 4 packs of Scott’s Extra Soft Toilet Paper. It was on sale for $1 PLUS I had coupons for $2/2 packs. Great deal, huh? Well, it got better when I found there was an unadvertised Kimberly Clark Catalina at Albertson’s. I happened to come across the deal when I bought the original 26 packages it spit out a $5 OYNO (on your next order) Catalina when you spent $20 on KC product. I later went back for another 20 packs. Not bad to make $10 and get 184 rolls of FREE toilet paper! Of course you can not always get paid to take items out of the store, but amazingly, it is more common than you would think.

Shampoo: I have not paid for shampoo in probably 8 years. When we moved from Salt Lake I brought a big box of what was left from my stash up north. Since moving down south I have only continued my deal making and now have enough shampoo and conditioner for a couple years if not longer. I have a ton of product which we use, give away to friends and family and donate. It seems I never get low because there is always another great deal to be found. I get good deals from watching the sales, using my coupons and looking for Catalina deals. I do not have to use store brands to get them free. I have Loreal, Dove, Herbal Essence, Pantene, Infusium and my latest haul was on John Frieda. As you all know, these products can be expensive. I usually get the regular size bottles, but last year was able to get the large family size bottles… over 30 bottles FREE. Again, FREE is good, but my John Frieda deal was a money maker.

John Frieda was $5.99 a bottle at Walgreen’s. This included shampoo, conditioner and hair care products. They had it on sale for B1G1 50% off. There were $3/2 coupons out for the deal.
2 John Frieda items @ $5.99 $11.98
50% off one -$3.00
$3 /2 coupon -$3.00
two products $5.98

Less than $6 for two bottles of John Frieda is not a bad deal, but I am much too cheap to pay that much for even really good shampoo. Lucky for me there was a Refund Reward (RR) for $9 OYNO which printed out each time I purchased two JF items. I gave them $6 and they gave me $9 and two bottles of John Frieda! I was paid $1.50 for each bottle I “bought.” After special ordering the products in advance, I came home with over 40 products and over $60 extra!

Soap or body wash: In March there was a great at Walgreens that ended on a Saturday and another great sale starting on Sunday so we had a Girls’ Weekend Out in Vegas. Olay soap was on sale for $2 for a 2 pack of soap. There were $2 off coupons, so FREE soap. But again there was a great RR available. Buy 2 packs of soap for $4 and get a $4 RR. So For every two packages of soap I got FREE I was “paid” $4! I think I came home with about 50 packages of soap, 28 bottles of shampoo, a bunch of other bargains and an extra $130!

No comments: